gnoppix-user

[Gnoppix-user] Hard drive install issue

From: R. Carrara
Subject: [Gnoppix-user] Hard drive install issue
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:41:58 -0500

Hi - any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Ron

R. Carrara stated the following on 27/01/2004 10:48 AM:

Hi - Further to my e-mail from yesterday, I'm trying to use "gnoppix-0.6.0-RC1" to install on my hard drive. Here are the error messages that I get after it copies a number of files to my hard drive & after entering the passwords for both user & root:

tar (child): /mnt/tempdir/var/www.tgz : cannot open: no such file or directory
tar (child): error is not recoverable; exiting now
tar: child returned status 2
tar: error exit delayed from previous errors
warning: etc/lilo.conf should be readable only for root if using PASSWORD
added gnoppix *

It then stops installing & brings me to the root prompt. I have no idea how to fix the above. Any help that you can provide to install the software on my hard drive would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Ron

R. Carrara stated the following on 26/01/2004 9:08 AM:

Hi - I'm brand new to Linux & love the Gnoppix software. The Gnome desktop is just great. I would like to install Gnoppix on my hard drive but it won't let me. The hard drive is 20 GB & Gnoppix will be the only operating system on the drive. I have used the install program found in the Gnoppix folder on the desktop. After it copies a number of files to my hard drive & after entering the passwords for both root and user, a number of messages scroll on the screen indicating that certain files are missing. It then stops installing & brings me to the prompt. When I type in 'gdm", an message appears stating that certain files are missing & to contact the system administrator. Any help that you can provide to install the software would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ron