gnoppix-user

[Gnoppix-user] readonly root file system after hd install

From: Riko Wichmann
Subject: [Gnoppix-user] readonly root file system after hd install
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:13:44 +0100

Dear all,

after installing Gnoppix 0.6RC1 to my hd, the root file system is read-only, so I can't do anything. Here is what I did:

I have a dual-boot running XP and Suse Linux. However, I plan to changing to Debian and thought I'd give Gnoppix a try. Looking through gnoppix-installfull in /usr/local/bin, I wasn't sure what would happen to my harddrive if I selected drive 1 (the only drive) as the place to install gnoppix. Since I already have a Linux filesystem, I created on the existing ext3 partition /dev/hda7 a directory called Suse and copied the whole Suse system there as backup. Gnoppix is then going to put all its directories on hda7 as well.

So I edited the gnoppix-installfull as follows:

- change $INSTALL_PATH = "/mnt/hda7";
- add $rootp = "/dev/hda7";
- comment out everything else except
        copyfile
        setup
- since I have the grub loader installed already, I removed everything in setup which looked like "lilo"

The script ran through without problems, asking me for hostname, root passwd etc. There was one error: www.tgz no such file or directory. This one I ignored since it didn't seem relevant.

I then edited /mnt/hda7/etc/fstab to add the swap partition and /boot, did ln -sf /proc/mounts /mnt/hda/etc/mtab.

I copied vmlinuz and System.map on the boot partition and adjusted grub/menue.lst accordingly.

Rebooting the machine boots into gnoppix until I get a whole bunch of error messages about "can't stat /etc/skel" and /root being read-only

Checking dmesg told me:
        EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
        VFS: mounted root read-only

Probably as a resultof this, also /proc is empty

Is that a relict from gnoppix being a live-cd and therefore root being indeed read-only? Where can I fix that?

/etc/fstab should be correct:
/dev/hda7      /       ext3     defaults

Any hint would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

        Riko