gnoppix-user

Re: [Gnoppix-user] Seeing hard drive

From: eklirmr
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-user] Seeing hard drive
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 09:40:59 +0200

On Fri Apr 30 2004 at 15:01:22 (-0400), Brent Bailey wrote:
> How do I see my hard drive when running gnoppix.  My old computer died
> on me, and I'm trying to use gnoppix to rescue my data from my old hard
> drive.  I just can't seem to see or mount it (not in fstab, nothing
> except the gnoppix cd shows up in df).
>
> Am I doing something wrong, gnoppix is not configured to see hard disks,
> or the drive is toast.

Gnoppix sees my hard drives without any problem.  I assume the
necessary information is gathered by the kernel at startup and passed
to Gnoppix.

Is the old hard drive correctly wired up in the new computer?  Does
the BIOS see the old hard drive?  Can you see it from other operating
systems or distributions (eg Tom's Boot Disk)?

Come to think of it, are you sure it was the old computer that died
and not the old hard drive?

Gnoppix / Knoppix is useful for emergency repairs but there are other
CD-based systems which are more specifically intended for emergency
recovered, such as SystemRescueCD

http://www.sysresccd.org/

HTH

Paul