Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mailing list archive email breakage

From: Bruce Stephens
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:55:30 +0100

>     Colin> The mailing list archive software appears to mangle email
>     Colin> addressses, which is normally a stupid waste of time,
>
> You wouldn't think so if you were getting about a request a week
> from people who let their addresses "leak" into a mailing list
> archive.  They want the archives hand-edited to remove their
> personal data.
>
> I agree with you, and I'm not going to enable mangling.  But
> disabling it has costs for the list manager.

This isn't just lists, it's archives too.  If my archive name contains
a valid email address, then if I want that archive to be public, then
(necessarily) that email address must also be public.  Similarly for
all archives that I merge from, since those archive names will become
publically accessible.

That may become something that needs thinking about.  Perhaps people
will want to use something that looks like an email address, but
doesn't point to anything.

[...]