[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Combining tagging and committing in a single versio

From: John Goerzen
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Combining tagging and committing in a single version
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:28:27 -0500

Jason McCarty <address@hidden> writes:

> Sure it will. "tla tag foo bar" creates a new tag revision in bar, and
> tla will treat it just the same as if it were base-0. At that point tla
> doesn't consider the previous patches as "missing," even if their
> patch-logs aren't in the new tagged revision.

Interesting.  It does indeed work.  However, one problem I have seen
is that it seems to make updates *very* inefficient.

If I use star-merge or the set-tree-version trick, updates happen many
times faster than if I use tag.  With tag, it appears to check out two
entire trees (one of which is already in my pristine cache), which is
a very time-consuming process for this.  I don't know why this is.

Incidentally, these are all branches in the same archive, so the space
savings with tag as opposed to merge look good.

-- John