[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla on itanium

From: John Goerzen
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla on itanium
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:56:09 -0500

Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:

> Firstly, a warning: tla is riddled with 32bit-isms. It is not at all
> happy about running on ia64, and I do not have time or patience to go
> hunting. Even *without -Wall*, it generates warnings; with it, plus a
> few other choice flags, it raises thousands of things which are
> probably bugs, mostly to do with signedness, sizes, or alignment.

Having just looked at this in detail, I'll have to say that I don't
think the problem was *that* bad, and in less than one man-day, had
workable fixes for those I found.  Most of the problems I found were
in hackerlab; some may not have actually caused a problem in
common-use platforms (passing ints on void *).  Some were geniune and
likely to cause problems, and probably did.

tla itself contained comparitvely few, though those present were
probably quite serious, and the code (excepting libneon) with my
patches now compiles fine under -Wall -Werror on Alpha, i386, and
ia64.  What additional flags were you using?  -pedantic?