Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "upgradeable" inventory id's

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "upgradeable" inventory id's
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:02:10 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Robert Anderson <address@hidden>

    > So, basically, I'm wondering aloud what would be involved in having this
    > capability [to change between names/explicit/embedded while
    > keeping the same tags].  Is it feasible, or are there constraints I'm not
    > considering?

Feasible but not trivial.

The origin-specific mangling of tags pays off int he inode-signature
optimizations.   I think mangling should continue to reflect where the
tag came from.

It _might_ work out reasonably to have mkpatch/dopatch not use
string-equality to decide equivalent tags.   It's not a trivial
change, but it's conceptually reasonable, afaict.