[Gnu-arch-users] Re: situations where cached revisions are not so good

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: situations where cached revisions are not so good
Date: 24 Sep 2003 18:53:36 +0900

Alexander Deruwe <address@hidden> writes:
> If that user mirrors your archive with --no-cache, she can decide for
> herself where to place the cached revisions.  I think maybe that is what
> Stig meant.  If that user just uses your archive, then yes, it doesn't
> help.

I see.  I think it's not a good solution in general -- it's often much
more convenient to use the canonical archive, even when it's remote, and
sometimes it's necessary (e.g., when you need R/W access).  When I first
started using arch, I made a bunch of local mirrors, but I've since
deleted them all, because in fact keeping them updated &c was more
annoying than whatever network delay there was.  I now think of them as
`tools for special cases,' not something one should use by default,
especially as a first introduction.

-Miles
--
We live, as we dream -- alone....