[Gnu-arch-users] "should conflict" situation but no conflicts occur

From: Alexander Deruwe
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] "should conflict" situation but no conflicts occur
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:34:42 +0200

Hey,

I've run into a merge situation where I _think_ a conflict should have
occured, but it didn't:

tla--aderuwe--1.1 is a branch of Tom's tla--devo--1.1, and
tla--whitespace--1.1 is a branch from --aderuwe--.  In --whitespace--,
I've fixed up some more whitespace issues (converting tabs to spaces and
removing end-of-line spaces).

Now, after --whitespace-- branched from --aderuwe--, in Tom's
tla--devo--1.1 the file libarch/cmd-update.c was updated (the vsnspec
variable changed name to rvsnspec; I haven't investigated the 'why?' of
this).  What this means is that my whitespace cleanups have cleaned up the
"vsnspec version", and I can confirm I touched lines with that variable in
it.  I've brought --aderuwe-- up to date with Tom's latest, and then
wanted to star-merge with --whitespace--.

Weird thing is that I did _not_ get any conflicts on cmd-update.c,
instead I got a cmd-update.c that used vsnspec in the lines I touched, and
rvsnspec in the lines touched by Tom's changes.

Isn't this a situation in which conflicts would have to occur?  Is this a
bug or just a misunderstanding on my behalf?

If I need to provide more accurate information, please just let me know.

The versions mentioned can all be found here:
  address@hidden
          http://www.deruwe.be/aderuwe/arch/{2003}

Alexander