Re: [Gnu-arch-users] how to recover from large conflicts?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] how to recover from large conflicts?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:10:10 -0400

Some random advice:

* Try applying the .rej file with `patch -l', which causes patch to ignore
  whitespace for matching purposes.

* If you want to hack the .rej file, you just have to be careful to update
  the hunk line counts, and make sure all lines start with a space/+/-
  character as appropriate.

  A good way to do this is to use emacs' `diff-mode' for your patch hacking
  (in CVS versions of emacs, at least, it's the default for .rej files).  It
  will automatically keep the line-counts up to date, and offers some very
  convenient operators for editing diff files; a typical way I'll approach
  this sort of problem is to use diff-split-hunk (`C-c C-s') on either side
  of offending area, and diff-apply-hunk (`C-c C-a') to apply the big hunks
  on either side, and then edit the problematic hunk until it applies, using
  apply-hunk or diff-goto-source (`C-c C-c') to do test whether it applies
  yet.  If you're not sure where the problem is, the split-hunk is very
  useful for doing finding it (I usually just try splitting at various
  places, until a C-c C-c on the first half fails; undo serves to back-out a
  split).

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.