[Gnu-arch-users] on {arch} and other names

From: Jani Monoses
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] on {arch} and other names
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:31:31 +0300

I only used to read the archives now and then, but I've just subscribed
to say that I'd love arch to use more conventional names for it's
metadata dirs and files. When I tried arch last year this was the source
of great annoyance and the reason I looked for other alternatives. I am
sure Tom has done a lot of groundbreaking stuff with tla but doing it
all the way including user interface and all seems a bit too much for me
and I am sure there are others who think the same. I'm not comfortable
with changing the shell I use just because it's stupid because it does
not handle all characters but $ the same. I'm sure there are many flaws
in the tools we all use and if done again (by Tom :) they'd come out
better but I think it's too much for tla to pretend that since it's a
revolutionary tool all other software should be fixed to be tla-enabled.
Reading this thread I did not see why exactly the {} and = conventions
are beneficial and why the seasoned users prefer those if it's not just
inertia.
These naming conventions contribute heavily to the steepness of the arch
learning curve IMHO.
Call me a chicken but now I'd only switch from subversion if these
things were sorted out.

Jani