Re: [Gnu-arch-users] self-contained changesets?

From: Tupshin Harper
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] self-contained changesets?
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:30:51 -0700

Tom Lord wrote:

   > From: Joshua Haberman <address@hidden>

   > Arch seems to require that anyone who wants to make their personal
   > changes available to the world have access to a publically available
   > server to host their personal archive.  Is this a safe assumption?

Mostly I think it is -- but that doesn't mean that it isn't worth
providing support for when the assumption is false.   It's also not
quite the case that arch requires that -- although the ways in which
it doesn't require it should probably be made more featureful.

Would you agree that email and netnews provide the other two most
obvious transports?
Mail, certainly; netnews possibly. But don't overlook the convenience factor of making it easy for one person (maybe the project lead) to host archives/branches for other people, and giving only those people write access to their archives. Since arch doesn't have its own server and uses other mechanisms (webdav, sftp, etc), this is not strictly an arch issue. But howtos and prefab setup scripts for configuring a server to be either a primary archive or a mirror archive for a remote user would help alleviate this issue.

-Tupshin