Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:15:01 +0200

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 09:16:19PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> And you'll be able to get conflicts. Or worse, you'll have two copies of
> the same file with different logical id's preventing the exchange of
> patches between the users.

no way that can't happen with the algorithm I outlined in point 3 of the
longest (yes, way too long sorry) email I sent yesterday.

Explicit mode can be implemented with an algorithm that in terms of
clashes can only be superior to the taglines in terms of safety and it
won't require you to deal with the id creation either.

the clashes may happen now if the algorithm of explicit isn't good
enough, but that can be fixed if it's the case, and I'd be glad to help
in that sense. Infact I certainly need that math safe guarantee (or at
least probabilistically math safe).

Please concentrate on the list of disavantages and zero advantages I
sent to Miles. Let's ignore the data/metadata issue for now.

I'd be glad to giveup and admit taglines are better and we should add
them to Linux too, but I see not a single advantage nor a single
technical reason we should do that: we need strict commits, or at least
I do personally. I only see a long list of relevant disvantages in
taglines (with strict commits enabled).

Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
            rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
            http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/