[Gnu-arch-users] [RFC] New branching method proposed (semi/delta-branchi

From: Christian Neumair
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] [RFC] New branching method proposed (semi/delta-branching)
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 21:15:54 +0100

First of all, I must say that I really like tla. It is a great product
compared to other similar systems, especially CVS. I really like the
idea of private branches/repositories. But this branching method brings
up some new problems:
Branches are usually as huge as the original repository, since you
star-merge the "master" repository and commit the stuff to your custom
branch. This could be very data-intensive, especially when managing big
projects like Xouvert. I gained my experiences using Rhythmbox, an
excellent audio archiving software you might know. My idea is some
semi-branching method where every patch in my private semi-branch is
against a particular patch of a master repository. I have no idea
whether this will work or how a possible implementation would look like,
it would de-facto be a delta-branch containing only some patches that
has a reference branch/repository/patch.
Note that this is just an idea by a naive person that doesn't know much
about how arch really works internally and whether this is doable.
Comments, suggestions?

regs,
Chris