Re: [Gnu-arch-users] distinguished branch name, "clone"

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] distinguished branch name, "clone"
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:26:09 +1100

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 13:47, Colin Walters wrote:

> >     (c) no parameters from the project maintainers -- the arch
> >             maintainers will set those to constants.
>
> True.  But it's worth saying that I wouldn't advocate this as a general
> rule in all situations.  I do think it makes sense in this situation.

The thing is, that this command is pretty core to arch's smart merging
facilities. It + replay --skip-present are the only 'merge' commands I'm
aware of, and between them, and sync-tree on occasion, I can do
everything I want to - without hair. So, diddling star-merge to be
intrinsically smarter makes me nervous - unless there is a good
beneficial reason.

Rob