[Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbie questions about tagging

From: Carlos Pereira
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbie questions about tagging
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:38:08 +0000 (WET)

Thanks a lot for all the great answers I got,
I think much of what was said could be used
to significantly improve the tagging section
of the GNU-arch manual.

>> Finally a suggestion, it would be nice to have a single
>> .ps file of the manual, say, by converting the .html files
>> of the manual online to latex and building a postscript file
>> from there,

>It sounds like you've already done this work.  :)

I have experience with Latex, but never did that.

However, there are several tools to convert
html to other formats, as seen in this page:

http://www.w3.org/Tools/html2things.html

Actually the nice way of handling this is with a makefile:

just typing make, if a .html file was newer than the .ps file,
it would call: 1) the conversion script, to convert each .html file
in a .tex file (or alternatively just a single, big, .tex file),
2) then latex (twice, to fix cross references), which would call
a fixed file (say, arch-manual.tex) which would contain a fixed
list of \include directives, (typically, but not necessary, one
for each .html file) to load the .tex files produced by the script;
3) and finally dvips would build the .ps file.

I will need to do this myself for my project (as my
own documentation files are currently in xhtml and I really
want to produce a single manual in paper). By that time,
if none does it before, I will be glad to do it for gnu-arch.

Carlos