Re: [Gnu-arch-users] etla [Was: Testbed for OverArch]

From: Clark McGrew
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] etla [Was: Testbed for OverArch]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:16:30 -0500

This is fantastic!  I was truly hoping that somebody else had already started
something.

What are your plans for etla?  Would you envision it becoming a complete
command line impementation of the overarch idea?

I hope that you update libarch-perl to use tla rather than have native
support for archives.

The etla doesn't seem to have any method to delegate actions to outside
scripts, or to allow package and project based extensions.  Is this a
design decision, or just not something that has been considered?  My
thinking is that individual projects will want to define default
behaviors to match the specific development environment.  For instance,
a project using a tla-pqm will probably want different newbie
configurations than a heavily disbursed project without a well defined
mainline.

Thanks,
Clark

Does etla include the possibility for the package, user and site to
define commands and stash configuration information?  I'd like to have a
way for projects (in my case a physics collaboration) to define default
behaviors (like archive locations, tagging-method conventions, &c).  My
idea was to have a search path for "tool scripts", but that was just for
proto-typing.

-Clark

--
Clark McGrew                    Univ. at Stony Brook, Physics and Astronomy
<address@hidden>        631-632-8299