[Gnu-arch-users] Help request: Using Arch to build ROX-compliant applica

From: Samuel A. Falvo II
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Help request: Using Arch to build ROX-compliant applications.
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:39:32 -0800

I'm having one minor difficulty building ROX AppDir-compliant packages
with Arch, and I can't seem to find any way around it.

An AppDir is a directory that contains, at least, two components: a
.DirIcon file, which is a hidden (why?!?!) file containing the
application's icon in PNG or other supported format, and AppRun, usually
a shell-script which is responsible for building the software if it
hasn't been already, then running it with various options.

The problem I'm having is that .DirIcon is patently never committed to
the repository.  When I tla get the project from the repository
elsewhere, the .DirIcon file is missing.

While I know that most dot-files are ignored, I did change the "precious"
tagging-method item to include .DirIcon explicitly.  I can add it to the
inventory (in fact, tla commit won't work for me unless I do so anyway),
and listing it comes back with a "P" tag.  Yet, the commit still doesn't
actually commit the file.

Now, I know that this is a borderline case, and I feel the authors of ROX
were being silly making DirIcon a dot-file.  (Don't worry, I'm going to
inform them of this nonsense too.)  So I'm not blaming Tom or any other
maintainer for failure to deliver on an excellent product.

I'm just wondering if there is some kind of temporary work-around I can
use?  As it is, I can create the AppDir, but the icon is broken until I
run the application for the first time.  It's a cosmetic 'bug' that I
cannot fix otherwise.

Thanks for any input you might have.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II