Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [semi-OffTopic] UserLinux

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [semi-OffTopic] UserLinux
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:41:01 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Michael Alan Dorman <address@hidden>

    > Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

    >>   "Bruce isn't an engineer by profession or avocation.  We
    >>   don't speak for all engineers but we are ourselves engineers.
    >>   Here's our engineers'-perspective alternative to Bruce's
    >>   well-intentioned +proposal."

    > While he's been more of a suit than not for the last several
    > years, Bruce has also made credible contributions to free
    > software---electric fence comes to mind---and I think it would
    > be a poor opening move to come out of the gate questioning his
    > credentials.

Hehe.

I don't mean to question his credentials or to overlook his
achievements as a programmer.   I don't think that "not an engineer"
is an insult.

As I said to asuffield, my intention isn't to _refute_ Bruce's paper
-- but to _complete_ it.   I don't mind engaging in a little bit of
dialectic for the purpose -- but the underlying intention is a
supportive one.

I take your point about wording, though.