Re: [Gnu-arch-users] PANIC: conflict applying patch in arch_build_revisi

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] PANIC: conflict applying patch in arch_build_revision
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:21:41 +1100

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 06:19, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:
> hi,
>
> I just installed tla-1.2pre2, and when trying to get an archive created
> with 1.2pre0 I am getting (apart from a lot of warnings about lacking
> checksums) the error:
>
> PANIC: conflict applying patch in arch_build_revision
>
> How do I proceed from here?

It sounds like you have managed to get a corrupt archive. Probably, as
another poster has speculated by something mucking up a pristine tree.
(Heads up andrew, thats a bug to assign to me)

This is /not/ a common occurence, and I'll figure out why it occured. To
fix it is simple.

1) backup your archive and working director(y|ies).
2) tla getpatch the patch that fails to apply.
3) In the resulting directory you will find a number of files. grep
through them for the incorrectly 'stuff'. Remove or alter appropriately.
4) test this by using tla dopatch against a checked out copy of the
revision before (base-0 in your case IIRC). When it
  a) applies with no conflicts
  b) looks like you thought it did when you committed
then you are good to go.
5) make sure no ancilliary files (editor backups etc) are in the patch
dir you got in step2
6) create a new tarball of that dir (the name is important, don't change
it)
 i.e.:   tar czf xen--migration--1.2--patch-1.patches.tar.gz \
xen--migration--1.2--patch-1.patches

7) rename the old xen--migration--1.2--patch-1.patches.tar.gz in the
archive to ... .old
8) move your new tarball into the archive.
9) replace the checksums in the checksums file with a=updated values.
10) turn off your revision library, or remove
address@hidden/xen--migration--1.2--patch-1 from it.
11) nuke or rename to not match any ++pristines of
address@hidden/xen--migration--1.2--patch-1 you've got
(including in parallel directories)
12) try tla getting
address@hidden/xen--migration--1.2--patch-1
  - if that works, try patch-2 and so forth, repeating this as
necesseary if you have propogating proplems.
  - if it doesn't, grab me on #arch.

Rob