[Gnu-arch-users] inode caching for explicit id's completed

From: Robert Collins
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] inode caching for explicit id's completed
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:57:50 +1100

Tom,
        I've finished inode signature cache support for explicit id's. As part
of the same work, I've added a path field to the inode signature, in
order to detect certain forms of library/pristine corruption. That work
is in address@hidden/tla--inode-sigs--1.2

I'd really appreciate a review of this code... I think I've got all the
cases covered.

The only thing that has me scratching my head is the addition of the
path field - it's not ideal for a couple of reasons:
* It means moved files don't match inode sigs, so moving a large file
will result in it being diffed, even if it hasn't changed.
* There is no obvious (to me anyway) to retrofit the path to existing
inode caches.

I've considered an alternative approach to handling file rename
detection: create a new file {arch}/,,inode-sigs/revision.mapping, and
in there have (id path) pairs. If that file is missing, we could ignore
it rather than having an inode sig corruption result. And inode
signature matches would work correctly for renamed files.

Thats more work than what I've done today, but I suspect it's the right
way.

Anyway... I'm primarily interested in your opinion on the explicit id
support for inode signatures.

Cheers,
Rob