Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Configuration: Replication and fail safe

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Configuration: Replication and fail safe
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:03:21 -0800

ALEJANDROLANDIM wrote:

Michaeljohn Clement wrote:
On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 03:37, ALEJANDROLANDIM wrote:
What type of data?
At first I just want to have simple text files and binary files, but
later I'd like to have databases (that would require modifying tla to
work great with binary database tables)
<snip>
Yes, I'd like to have websites managed with tla using my proposed
configuration.
It sounds almost as if you are thinking of using Arch as a
general-purpose incremental backup system, and replicating file system.

Arch is designed for source code version control, and there's a chance
that you haven't found exactly the right tool for what you need to do. Probably there is such a tool, maybe if you can give a more explicit
description of what you are interested in accomplishing, someone on this
list can at least point you in the right direction.

I could go with a system without branches but I need to keep all
versions in a consistent state. An incremental backup system is not
enough since that is not symmetrical, I want all the versions on all the
computers and if some computer gets compromised it can't remove
the version history from the other computers.

I'm confused by your requirements. You say you want all the computers to have the same data, and then in the next breath you want to be sure that they don't have the same data when one of them is "compromised."

I think your problem here has nothing to do with the data duplication (which arch _may_ be able to help with, but it seems doubtful it's ideal for your application), but in defining when the data is "compromised."

What do you mean by that?

Bob