Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pull / Push based Mirror

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pull / Push based Mirror
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:47:13 -0800

On Feb 23, 2004, at 12:17, John F Meinel Jr wrote:

That's what I thought. Except it works just as well either way. So if I create a local copy of a public mirror. I can type tla archive-mirror <pub> and it will "push" the files from the remote archive to the local one (which I would consider a pull) So the only thing I can see is that the -MIRROR, versus the -SOURCE issue.
I just tested it with the following:

Well, I don't really like the push vs. pull distinction there, I think it's a bit confusing. The entire difference is (as you're stating) the names of the archives.

However, the important thing here is the name of the archive without the -MIRROR or -SOURCE. I've got a script that swaps a tree from one mode to the other. If I have a -SOURCE entry, then I consider my view of the tree to be read-only. My swap-mirrors script convers my -SOURCE type mirror to a -MIRROR type mirror.

        That sounds rather confusing, so let me give you my use case:

I have an archive on a webdav server at home. My connectivity isn't that great, so big syncs take a while. I mirror that archive all over the place, but also write to it from various locations. if I run my swap-mirrors script so that the mirror is RO, it means checkouts happen from my local mirror. If I want to commit, I run swap-mirrors again to go into RW mode, which means operations all take place against my WebDAV server.

I also have mirrors that are neither -MIRROR or -SOURCE. It just means you have to manually specify both the TO and the FROM.

On a side note, would it be possible to add a flag to automatically create the file in ~/.arch-params/signing It's a little bit of a pain to do tla make-archive --signed --mirror ..., and then edit a text file, and then call tla archive-mirror
Maybe a --signed-keep, or --keep-signature or something like that.

You shouldn't need to do this if your signing all works the same way. You can have a ~/arch-params/signing/=default (I believe that's the right path, I don't have signing set up on any of my computers here) that will apply for any archives you haven't specifically overridden.

--
Dustin Sallings