[Gnu-arch-users] Moving a sourceforge project to arch

From: Michael McCracken
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Moving a sourceforge project to arch
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:08:51 -0800

Hi, I've been catching on to arch over the last week or so, and I think it really makes more sense than CVS ever did. I have a project in sourceforge, and I am the most frequent contributor by far, but there are a few people who add things occasionally. Arch appeals to me because I work offline on a laptop half the time, and also because I recently had someone send me a huge set of changes to my project without any revision control and I find myself wishing I had nice small changesets to work with instead. So:

I'm thinking about moving the project to arch, and I wanted to ask a couple questions:

I get offers of help from people unfamiliar with version control, and who don't have time to learn CVS. I can tell them how to get the code, but they don't want to commit - they want to send me their changed version. I have to put up, since beggars can't be choosers. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not arch makes this kind of thing easier to handle? If so, why, and how would you handle it?

The ideal solution would make it easy on contributors (they'd have to learn minimal to no tla usage) and easy on me (I wouldn't have to simulate their using tla)

Also, because some people are stuck on CVS, I wonder if there's a way to use both... Is it worth keeping both arch and cvs in sync? I saw some recipes for using both at the same time - is there an easy way, or is that the hairy mess I expect?

Thanks for any comments,
-mike