Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Mirrors and remote repositories...

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Mirrors and remote repositories...
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 09:43:53 +0100

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 21:21:25 -0600, The Doctor What wrote:
> I'm just putzing with tla/arch still, so excuse any stupidities.
>
> I use BK at work, and I'm confused by the remote mirror vs. remote
> repositories.  I have a remote repository set up (it was cool, I
> don't have tla installed on my server, but it created everything
> fine.) and I'm working with it locally.
>
> However, I'm using a laptop, so I want disconnected operation, where
> I can "store up" changesets to push up later.  How do I do this?
> The docs I'm reading say that a mirror is readonly.  Am I reading
> something wrong?

For disconnected operation, you need another branch on your laptop and
star-merge it when you connect. (Recall, that you can merge between
archives at will).

If you think of it, commit to a mirror can never work, because noone can
guarantee, that someone else won't commit different changes to another
mirror under same name.

> Also: I'm a little unclear... Does tla not offer an oportunity to
> commit single files outside a changeset, like BK?  I liked that
> behaviour since I could make tonnes of small changes and they'd all
> be documented with change comments, then I could send them all as
> one large changeset with really well documented changes.

No. Multiple different commit operations are strange at best. You can
commit each change separately to a "development" branch and then
star-merge to a "mainline". Then there will be one changelog for the
merge and one changelog for each of your small changes.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>