Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Descending from multiple trees

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Descending from multiple trees
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:18:15 -0600

This isn't so much a matter of being clever as just using the merge
operators that tla provides. The tutorial should cover most of what
you'd need here; particularly, see the cherry-picking bits.

If you only want to merge the changes made in the changeset
xen--migration--1.3--patch-8 into xen--migration--1.2:
  xen--migration--1.2$ tla replay xen--migration--1.3--patch-8

To merge all of the changes in xen--migration--1.3 into
xen--migration--1.2, you'd instead do:
  xen--migration--1.2$ tla star-merge xen--migration--1.3

All of the tla merge operators should Do The Right Thing with regard to
storing patchlog information to track what came from where. Likewise,
you shouldn't have any reason to manually use patch  to move changes
around.

Perhaps you want to apply some uncommitted changes from
xen--migration--1.3 to xen--migration--1.2? In this case, you'd do this:

xen--migration--1.3$ tla undo -o ~/my-uncommitted-changes
xen--migration--1.2$ tla redo ~/my-uncommitted-changes

If you commit them first in xen--migration--1.2 and then later want to
apply them to xen--migration--1.3, see the cherry-picking chapter from
the tutorial. Note that you're first applying in one branch and then
cherry-picking that changeset into the other; don't make the changes
independently in both branches or you'll have trouble later.

On the other hand, still easier is to apply them first in 1.3 and then
cherry-pick these particular changes back to 1.2.

I'm not sure that I understood exactly what you were trying to do here,
but hopefully one of the answers I gave will fit your question.