Re: [Gnu-arch-users] ArchZoom, initial announce

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] ArchZoom, initial announce
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:37:30 +0000

On 13 Mar 2004 21:01:17 +0100, Gergely Nagy wrote:

> > The home page of this project, ArchZoom, is:
> >
> >   http://migo.sixbit.org/software/archzoom/
> >
> > It has screenshots, demo, released tarball and developement info.
>
> Wow, pretty impressive work.

Thank you, Gergely. (I hope I got your first name right.)

> After a quick glance, I'd have two suggestions (and I'm willing to help
> with both of them): for the templates, you might want to use the
> Template Toolkit (Template module on CPAN), which is quite powerful,
> and already does the templating work you want, and can be tuned to be
> quite fast.

I am aware of dozens of template toolkits in CPAN. Well, I personally
remember writting several such toolkits for my different work projects.

I am negative about using any module that does not come with Perl itself,
because I don't even want to think about teaching anyone how to install
modules from CPAN (yes, it is just some "make" commands, but still...).

Writting a template toolkit is not a problem for me, the current one took
several hours, it is Perl after all. :) I am pretty much happy with its
simple template syntax, but it may be improved probably.

You are welcome to try to convince me that including Template Toolkit into
ArchZoom itself has any benefits and serves our needs better.

> As for packaging and configuration (the autoconf/automake stuff in your
> TODO), I'd suggest using Module::Build, as a more perlish way O:)

Module::Build is out of the question for archzoom and other end-user
projects, since it is not bundled with Perl. As for arch-perllib,
it will probably use ExtUtils::MakeMaker for the same reason.

I have experience with autoconf/automake, so this is not a problem, they
are perlish too, but in a different way. :) However I am open here too.

I will be glad if you help, we probably should chat outside of this list.
If you can, please install perl-5.6.x, perl-5.8.x and optionally
perl5.005. I really want everything to work on these versions too
(probably less effectivelly, but still work well). Currently there are
small technical problems with 5.005* that will be probably solved with
autoconf; if someone needs it, I may send a simple 3 line patch.
Depending on the feedback I may choose to only support perl >= 5.6.0.

Regards,
Mikhael.