Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Command abbreviations

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Command abbreviations
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:06:49 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Samuel Tardieu <address@hidden>

    > >> address@hidden/tla--sam--1.3--patch-2 Remove spurious
    > >> return after exit()

    > Tom> Judging by the description of the patch: no, i don't want that.
    > Tom> The spurious return is, most likely, a lint-trap.

    > That's what I thought. But as you give no mercy to broken tools (e.g.,
    > your comments on -print0, with which I fully agree), I'm surprised
    > that you accept to clutter your code because of a broken third-party
    > program as your lint seems to be.

There's a difference.  The spurious compiler warning is a side effect
of the limitation of code-flow-analysis plus not bloating my compiler
with crap --- very fundamental facts of life.  The bogosity of print0
is "by design" -- a deliberately and unnecessarily constructed
stupidity that adds bloat to certain tools because someone or other
got a little overexcited back in 1988 when they realized that 0
doesn't occur in unix filenames.