[Gnu-arch-users] +ACI-Inserting+ACI- a tree

From: C. R. Oldham
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] +ACI-Inserting+ACI- a tree
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:09:21 -0700

Greetings,

I am experimenting with using Arch to version control my OpenACS based
sites.

I followed some excellent instructions at
http://rubick.com:8002/openacs/arch

And imported a copy of the current OpenACS tree into my archive.  I then
branched it to create a development branch, and branched that to create
a production branch of a particular website.  So my archive branches
look like this:

openacs-5-1 -> website---dev--1.0 -> website--production--1.0

I realized this afternoon, however, that I should have branched first to
a local version of the stock OpenACS code, from which I would branch to
make all my other OpenACS based sites.  The reason for this is that I am
using tla-cvs-sync to keep the openacs-5-1 branch in sync with the
upstream, and I sometimes make changes to that version that I will want
to replay into all my OpenACS-based sites.

So the archive geneaology would look like this:

openacs-5-1 -> openacs-5-1-local -> website--dev-1.0 ->
website--production--1.0

However, I already have a fair amount of changesets in website--dev and
website--production, so I don't want to blow them all away and start
over.  Is there any clean way to "insert" the openacs-5-1-local branch?
Or do I instead need to branch from openacs-5-1 and then star-merge
changes over from openacs-5-1-local to my other branches?

--
C. R. Oldham
Director of Technology