[Gnu-arch-users] Fwd: [for address@hidden Short term plans for gnuarch.o

From: Matthew Dempsky
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Fwd: [for address@hidden Short term plans for gnuarch.org
Date: 06 Apr 2004 18:51:43 -0500

jblack's having difficulties with the mailing list.

--- Begin Message --- Subject: [for address@hidden Short term plans for gnuarch.org Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 17:35:33 -0400 User-agent: Mutt/1.5.5.1+cvs20040105i
Hello all,

Because of a screwup on my part, address@hidden isn't accepting my
emails (they've cached a bad lookup for my mail), jivera has agreed to
forward this for me. Please reply either to the list, or
address@hidden

Its time for me to release some plans on what I intend to do with
gnuarch.org

Short term plans
----------------
1. Build pages to allow the creation of archive objects
2. Build pages to allow the creation of arch user objects
3. Build pages to allow the creation of category (useful for desc.)
4. Build pages to allow the creation of branch   (useful for desc.)
5. Build pages to allow the creation of version  (useful for desc.)
(the list goes on to infinity -- this is a good start)

Some loose plans:
----------------

1. I plan to automagically populate the archive objects with the info I have
   available

2. I plan to automagically populate the arch user objects

3. Where possible, I will automatically populate the owner relationship
   between archive and user.

4.  Initially anybody will be able to edit anything. When things have
slown down, I'll turn on authentication.

What I'm asking for at this point.
---------------------------------
1. Somebod(y|ies) with a better fashion sense than I visit the free web
   template sites and find something that has mass appeal.

2. More people to review the schema. Don't be scared of it!* If you look it
   over for more than a couple minutes, it'll be self explanatory. Is it
   worth it to be able to store phone numbers and addresses in user
   objects? What other data would you guys like to see stored? Are there
   objects out there that we may want to represent in the future? Changing
   schemas after the fact is moderately painful, so its MUCH better to
   add plenty of extra fields and objects that are even rarely used.

3. More participation! Things can only be as open as the number of people
   that help out.

** gao stands for "GnuArch.Org". LDAP attributes and objects share a
global namespace, so most references encourage using a prefix that is
reasonably unique to the organization.

Here is a 19 line mini-howto for schemas.

                        ____A globally unique identifier. #OID
                       /     is assigned by IANA
attributetype ( #OID.0.0.0
                NAME 'variablename'
                DESC 'describes what the variable is for'
                 SUP  someotherattribute )
                     \__
                         this attribute inherets its attributes from
                         'someotherattribute'

objectclass ( #OID.1.2.4
               NAME 'objectname'
               DESC 'Describes what the object is for'
               MAY ( various $ attributes $ that $ are $ optional  )
              MUST ( these $ attributes $ are $ required ) )

common attributes:
cn           : common name (a string)
labeledUri   : An url and an optional description seperated by a space
description  : an attribute used to describe an instantiated object

-------------------------

# This is the gnuarch schema version 0.0

#
# First the attributetypes
#

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.1.1
  NAME 'gaoPublicKeyID'
  DESC 'The identification number of an encryption key'
  SUP name )

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.1.2
  NAME 'gaoProjectWebStore'
  DESC 'Fully qualified arch version of the project website'
  SUP labeledURI )

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.1.4
  NAME 'gaoArchiveLocation'
  DESC 'A description (typically URL) of an arch archive'
  SUP labeledURI )

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.1.5
  NAME 'gaoArchiveMirrorLocation'
  DESC 'A description (typically URL) of an arch archive mirror'
  SUP labeledURI )

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.1.6
  NAME 'gaoEmailAddress'
  DESC 'RFC822 email address'
  EQUALITY caseIgnoreIA5Match
  SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26{256} )

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.1.7
  NAME 'gaoArchiveVersion'
  DESC 'Version number of archive'
  SUP cn )

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.1.8
  NAME 'gaoArchiveName'
  DESC 'the name of an archive'
  SUP cn )

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.1.9
  NAME 'gaoProjectName'
  DESC 'Name of a project'
  SUP cn )

#
# Objectclasses below
#

objectclass ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.2.1
  NAME 'gaoArchive'
  DESC 'A gnuarch archive'
  SUP top
  MAY ( owner $
        gaoArchiveVersion $
        gaoArchiveLocation $
        gaoArchiveMirrorLocation $
        gaoPublicKeyID )
  MUST ( gaoArchiveName ) )

objectclass ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.2.2
  NAME 'gaoProject'
  DESC 'A Gnuarch.org project'
  SUP top
  MAY ( owner $ description $ gaoProjectWebStore )
  MUST ( gaoProjectName ) )

objectclass ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.2.3
  NAME 'gaoUser'
  DESC 'A gnuarch user'
  SUP account
  MAY ( gaoPublicKeyID $ gaoEmailAddress $ userPassword )
  MUST ( cn ) )

objectclass ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.2.4
  NAME 'gaoArchiveCategory'
  DESC 'A gnuarch Category'
  MAY ( description )
  MUST ( cn ) )

objectclass ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.2.5
  NAME 'gaoArchiveBranch'
  DESC 'A gnuarch Branch'
  MAY ( description )
  MUST ( cn ) )

objectclass ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.2.6
  NAME 'gaoArchiveVersion'
  DESC 'A gnuarch Version'
  MAY ( description )
  MUST ( cn ) )

objectclass ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.2.7
  NAME 'gaoArchiveRevision'
  DESC 'A gnuarch Revision'
  MAY ( description )
  MUST ( cn ) )

objectclass ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.20049.1.2.8
  NAME 'gaoArchivePackage'
  DESC 'A gnuarch Package'
  MAY ( description )
  MUST ( cn ) )

--
James Blackwell          Please do not send me carbon copies of mailing
Smile more!              list posts. Such mail is unsolicited. Thank you!

--- End Message ---