Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: implicit discussion

From: Martin Pool
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: implicit discussion
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:06:11 +1000

On  9 Apr 2004, Colin Walters <address@hidden> wrote:

> > [and of course you can also just always `mv' always and then use a tool
> > like `tla-update-ids' before committing.]
>
> Hmmm.  How does that work?  How can tla-update-ids differentiate a moved
> file from a deleted one?

I think it notices that an identical file has been added under a
different name.

Move and modify within one changeset is harder, especially if you're
talking about binaries.  But (a hangover from svn?) I tend to do moves
in separate changes.

> > You're gonna get occasional annoyances no matter _which_ method you use,
> > so the question is not `Which one is perfect?' (none of them are), but
> > `Which one is the least annoying?'.
>
> Totally agreed!  All I'm saying is that I tried tagline and found
> explicit less annoying.  I can completely understand people feeling the
> opposite though.  Mainly I just didn't want newbies to get the
> impression that explicit was broken somehow.
>
> > If your tree is chock-full of binary files which you keep moving around,
> > I guess you're going to have get in the habit of using `tla mv' (or some
> > other tool), but taglines don't cramp that style.  Might as well use
> > taglines anyway for their other benefits.
>
> What other benefits?

Putting them in doesn't stop you using tla mv, and it accomodates
people who do like them.

Personally I like to just move files using emacs, and if I notice
before committing that I moved an explicitly-tagged file and forgot to
move the id, then I do that then.

For many projects binary files are the exception, and also rarely get
moved.

I think I kind of like the idea of having a UUID in source anyhow, so
you can potentially match up related files even if the source history
has been lost.

--
Martin