Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] FEATURE PLANS: "perfect" summary deltas

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] FEATURE PLANS: "perfect" summary deltas
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 12:15:06 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Aaron Bentley <address@hidden>

    > To me, one summary revision per summarized revision seems like a lot.
    > For typical projects, this will more than double the archive
    > size.

Somewhat worse than that, I think.  Every summary delta is almost
certain to be larger than the corresponding revision delta.  In the
worst case (or depending on how you tune the summary branch) the
average summary delta size converges and stays at some constant
fraction of the size of a cacherev.

Yet I think it's a good design.  Those nasty things are inevitable
properties of _any_ kind of static (dumb-server friendly) summary
delta solution and you can offset them only by allowing "lacunae"
(missing summary deltas).