[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] feature plan -- merge request headers

From: Julian T. J. Midgley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] feature plan -- merge request headers
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:42:54 +0000 (UTC)

In article <address@hidden>,
Colin Walters  <address@hidden> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 23:43, Miles Bader wrote:
>> Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
>> > Or something like that, anyway --- it is a bit awkward that so many
>> > other commands want to default to using the archive of the project
>> > tree in `pwd` but fork is one that shouldn't.  Or should it?
>>
>> Many tla commands seem to default to the my-default-archive, when that's
>> different than the current dir's archive.  Eg. `missing', `update', ...
>>
>> Probably most relevant:  tag defaults to my-default-archive, and tag's
>> morally pretty close to fork...
>
>Yeah.  I personally think we should make a big push towards using the
>current tree archive.  my-default-archive works until you have two (or
>more) personal archives.  I've unset it, since it's just not useful to
>me.
>
>Using the current tree archive could be confusing for people who have
>say all of ~ in arch - like when they do a 'tla get foo--bar--0'.  But
>generally I think it makes sense for the less-common operations like
>get' to essentially always be fully-qualified, compared to operations
>like 'replay' and 'star-merge'.

I wouldn't like to see 'my-default-archive' disappear for those
situations when one is not in a tree .  I work with several archives
with a largish (> 20) number of categories in them, and it is useful
to have the convenience of a default archive when running rbrowse and
the like.  I often have cause to 'tla get' a particular version to
read some of the source or perform a quick experiment - this happens
often enough that I'd prefer not to have to specify a full archive
name every time.

By all means default to the tree archive when you're actually in a
tree, but keep my-default-archive when you're not.  Archive names tend
to be long and unwieldy, and even with tab completion, it's certainly
convenient to have to type them only when absolutely necessary.

Julian

--
Julian T. J. Midgley                       http://www.xenoclast.org/
Cambridge, England.