Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a global-scale txnal distributed filesystem

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a global-scale txnal distributed filesystem
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:31:24 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Harald Meland <address@hidden>

    > > b) configure an automounter so that

    > >         /arch/$REVSION/

    > >    is served by the NFS server, [...]

    > > Now you have most of a transactional, global-scale filesystem.

    > NFS for global-scale use?

No, for use client-side as the interface to the long-haul transport
and transaction features.  On my box I run a hacked up NFS and
automounter that I talk to, you run those things separately on your
box, and behind the scenes, those two servers communicate with one
another using Arch.

It doesn't have to be NFS -- that's just an easy and portable way to
implement it.  Any user-extensible file system framework would work.

    > AFAIK, it is very common to block NFS
    > traffic at ones border routers, at least in part to avoid getting
    > burned too severely by the rather weak security model of NFS (guess
    > the file handle and you're in).

Not relevent.  The NFS component only has to serve the local machine.