Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:25:24 -0700

On Jun 10, 2004, at 5:01, Florian Weimer wrote:

225 [11:51] address@hidden:/tmp> ln bar foo
226 [11:51] address@hidden:/tmp> ls -li foo bar
748665 -rw-r--r--  2 roberto  wheel  0 10 Jun 11:51 bar
748665 -rw-r--r--  2 roberto  wheel  0 10 Jun 11:51 foo

They have added it in some kind of emulation layer.  Their spec
doesn't look as if it can be implemented efficiently.

But thanks for the correction!

I rely on this working correctly in my backup system. I dump about 2.2GB of postgres nightly through a filter application which tests each block against the previous days' dump. If the block is the same, it hard links the block to the previous days' block, else it encrypts the block and stores a new one:

rubik:~/bak/db 503% du -sk .
2751092 .

rubik:~/bak/db 504% du -sk *
2265096 20040322
2052    20040323
2372    20040324
2420    20040325
2204    20040326
[...]
3836    20040618
4048    20040619
4076    20040620
4028    20040621

rubik:~/bak/db 505% du -sk 20040621
2471368 20040621

        As far as I can tell, the right thing is happening here.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>