Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GCC v. Arch address@hidden: Regressions on mainline

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GCC v. Arch address@hidden: Regressions on mainline]
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:37:54 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:

> Fairly recently we chatted on the list about the GCC commit rate (or,
> more precisely, we talked about about very high commit rates generally
> but in a thread that made it obvious we were thinking about GCC).
>
> Some would say, of _any_ high commit rate --- any rate too high for
> developers to keep up-to-date with --- "Hey, use branches more.  Slow
> down there, partner."   They would be right, 90% of the time.

Actually, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring here and agree with you.

1. I'll state a priori that code size is directly proportional to project
size. As you add coders and users, the codebase will grow as well.

2. As the codebase grows, the number of locations in the code you can
code without conflicting with changes in other areas of the code will
grow as well

3. A well writen project will have well defined internal interfaces
which allows multiple areas of the code to be written on at once without
conflict. As an example, if I'm working on the audio server for kde, I'm
probably not conflicting with any work happening in the kde panels.

Where was I? Oh yeah.

If gcc has 100 coders all working on 50 discrete, unrelated areas of
code, you don't have to be up to day in regards to all 100 coders. You
only need to be up to date with other coders that are working in related
areas.

Now, if you happen to be working on a spagetti project in which
everything is related to everything else, then its not arch that is
broken, but the project itself.