[Gnu-arch-users] newbie question re: precious files, autoconf/automake

From: Ron Arts
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] newbie question re: precious files, autoconf/automake
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:33:37 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to convert our company from CVS to arch, and I encountered a problem.

I have a package which uses autoconf and automake. This package
bundles some other packages, one of which only uses autoconf and not automake.

The main packages generates Makefile.in from Makefile.amm so I marked
Makefile.in as precious in {arch}/=tagging-method. But the subpackage which
doesn't use automake ships a Makefile.in. Even if I `tla add
Makefile.in` arch does
not want to put Makefile.in in the archive.

Someone on IRC suggested I should use .arch-inventory. As I understand this
is kind of a per-directory =tagging-methods file. But =tagging-method
is tree-wide.
And .arch-inventory does only seem to extend the definitions in =tagging-method,
I don't know how to override it.

The problem is the main package contains lots of (generated) Makefile.in's in
many directories. Should I now delete the precious definition from
=tagging-method
and create a .arch-inventory in every subdir that contains a
Makefile.in, stating
it as a precious file there? This is pretty inconvenient.

Is there a better way? Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks,
Ron Arts