[Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Samuel Tardieu
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: 29 Jun 2004 10:10:37 +0200

Tom> Aside from obvious things like basic data types (numbers,
Tom> characters, strings, lists, etc.) I intend to define a minimal
Tom> run-time system with support for I/O, lexical analysis, parsing,
Tom> and minimal debugging facilities.  As in Forth, these will be
Tom> used to define a semi-standard "outer-interpreter" or "repl": a
Tom> standard (extensible) program which interactively (or from a
Tom> file) reads and executes commands, one by one.

Do you intend to make all this available from Furth itself? If this is
the case (I hope it is :-), do not make the same mistake as Forth
which doesn't provide you with a portable way of overriding the number
handling routine (i.e., you can define your own language in Forth for
example to implement a cross compiler, but you can't redefine number
effects -- such as "if you find a number push it on the target stack" --
without rewriting an outer interpreter).

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- address@hidden -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam