[Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:15:53 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > The shared library (/usr/lib/libtcl8.4.so.0 on my system) is about
    > 700KB; not minimal in my book.  Compare, for instance, lua --
    > /usr/lib/liblua50.so.5 is about 115KB (liblua40 was only 60KB!), and I
    > think Tom is aiming even smaller with furth.

I am but, I think I'm going to miss by that metric.  Not by much.  Not
by more than a random tiny amount.  But lua is hard to beat, sizewise.

    > Also, of course, tcl sucks big-time as a language...

Entirely the point.   The quality of languages is not a subjective
topic although it often seems that way because the objective nature of
that quality is very difficult to discuss.   That's part of the reason
that a subset of the Scheme community is so enamored of one another:
we've discovered a common vocabulary for discussing deeps issues that
most people can't even quite recognize are there (even though they
suffer greatly from systems that blow those issues).