Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Pierce T.Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:18:50 -0700

The problems I see with Furth, irrespective of the details like RPN are:

   1. No debuggers...

There's not even an interpreter yet, you expect a debugger?

Well, if the interpreter used was a more common one, it might include said beast...

   2. No syntax award editing...
   3. No test beds for double checking scripts...

Huh?

  Er. No syntax aware editors.

  A test bed would be a program that "emulates" arch but runs inside the
debugger to let you step through complicated scripts.

   Is there an O'Reilly book for the language?

Is there an O'Reilly book for Arch's config scripts?

  Someday. :-)

Better stop
using it.

You've mentioned your love of Python, but do you think the moment
Guido first got a running python interpreter he got a publishing
contract with O'Reilly to ensure there'd be a book for all the new
developers to use?  If every user held the same O'Reilly book
prerequisite for languages, Python would never have earned the user
base it has now.

  I don't know of I "love" Python. I use both Python and Perl for what
I think they were intended to, and not much else. I use Perl for processing
text files, and Python for testing my Objective-C code.

Anyways, if Tom wanted to create his own language, then obviously there wouldn't be an O'Reilly book for it, but I would still support his attempt. In this case, Tom wants to embed a language inside another tool, in the same way that lisp is embedded inside Emacs. That I'm not so sure is a good idea
because its one more step away from the user.

Of course, really, if I now understand correctly, Tom wants to compile pika code into Furth, and use pika code in arch. That's quite different, because
its not furth that Tom wants to embed into arch, its scheme.

Then the question is whether it make sense to use scheme in config files...

 Pierce