Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Make test failure on Cygwin

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Make test failure on Cygwin
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 08:39:13 -0400

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:45:17 -0500, John Meinel <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ron Parker wrote:
>
> | On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:23:31 -0500, John Meinel <address@hidden>
> wrote:

> |>wrote:
>
> I was trying to figure out sed's no-op. Because just plain "sed" doesn't
> work. And "sed 's///'" doesn't either.

If nothing else I posted does it, then something like "sed 's/x/x/'"
may be needed.

> | Small typo, s/\.\./\.\.\./. IOW, the .. was intended as an ellipsis,
> | "...". I was trying to asy it would use the fully qualified path that
> | includes the libexec sub directory.
> |

> But doesn't that mean it won't work for "make test"? Because it's
> "hard-coded" inside the tla binary to look for ".../libexec/tar".

Unfortunately, I believe it will mean that "make install" would have
to come first. Another possible solution would be to use an optional
environment variable say TLA_TOOLDIR that would override the built in
path to these tools.  Then the tests, or user, could set that
variable.

> |>Well, what I'd like to see is that the Makefile.in files do exist in the
> |>source repository. Makefile.am can be used to generate it, but that
> |>should be done by you, it shouldn't be necessary to have autotools
> |>installed to build the project.

Done. It should be tar--cygwin--1.13.25--patch-4.