Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Diff switches

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Diff switches
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:32:37 -0400

Neil Booth wrote:
Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but the fact that Arch
doesn't pass -p to gdiff with changes --diffs and file-diffs, and
doesn't give you a way to do so, is annoying when writing GNU
changelogs.  Is this something I've missed or something that's
planned?  Some way of getting Arch to pass through one's favourite
diff flags would be nice.

The 'changes' command generates a changeset and then prints its contents. diff is invoked as part of the changeset generation-- the same routines are used to create revisions in the archive. You can understand why folks aren't eager to mess with them.

I'm not familiar with that switch; how does it handle non-C files? If the switch should only be applied to certain files, that complicates matters further.

For individual files, there's a scripting answer:
diff -p $FILE $(tla file-find $FILE $REVISION)

You can also use the aba viewdiff command to do this. Just do export VIEWDIFF="diff -p". (Me, I use viewdiff to invoke vimdiff, but anything that compares two files will work.)

Aaron