Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Samium Gromoff
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 04:30:15 +0200

James Blackwell wrote:
> Samium wrote:
> > Hey -- i`m pretty sure _he_ decides what goes to _his_ tree, right?
>
> Of course he does but you're missing an important point. One of arch's
> main intentions is decentralization.

Um?

Linux does use BK whose main intention is also decentralisation.
I fail to see how arch/arch is different here in that respect.

> Let's hypothesize for a moment. Hypothetically speaking, Tom goes
> bonkers and decides that from now on, instead of using english, arch
> would use piglatin. This most unpopular decision would result in the
> other significant developers to start following a different tree. Tom
> would be left alone.

Precisely which would`ve happened with Linus too!

> So, in order to make this transition to piglatin, he would have to
> convince the group that moving to piglatin is the right choice.

Yet he still decides what goes into his tree.

And as long as he is considered the project lead his tree is
correspondingly considered mainline.

Well, this is not to say that Linus doesn`t have subsystem lieutenants
whom he trusts enough to take their judgement as The Right Thing, in
the case he doesn`t have his own.

That part is actually about him  being the "benevolent dictator".

regards, Samium Gromoff