Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Default version for star-merge (and more)

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Default version for star-merge (and more)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:04:33 -0500

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:08:35 +0000, Scott Parish <address@hidden> wrote:

> What's wrong with:
>
> $ cat >> ~/.profile <<EOF
> address@hidden/tla--rbrowse--1.3
> address@hidden/tla--devo
> address@hidden
> EOF
> $ source ~/.profile
> $ tla rbrowse $lord
> $ tla get $blacky_rbrowse
> $ tla star-merge $tladevo

Using environment variables does not provide any sort of namespace
separation.  At least by placing the aliases in a specific file
somewhere tab-completion can be implemented for the aliases in
isolation from the cluttered environment variable namespace.

I vaguely recall someone requesting aliases stored in {arch} at one
point and I would be against that (at least in naive form). It could
limit competition and create some form of central authority. Even
worse there would be the potential for a foreign changeset to redirect
the alias to a different archive, which I would consider somewhat of a
security issue, cf.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-03/msg00954.html
for Tom's perspective on central authorities.