Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Default version for star-merge (and more)

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Default version for star-merge (and more)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:17:17 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: address@hidden (James Blackwell)

    > I don't understand what you're trying to say here. As best as I can
    > tell, you're saying to be careful with the command syntax so that the
    > regexps setup doesn't unnecessarily overlap possibly valid archive
    > names. But that's just a guess; I reread your paragraph five times, came
    > up with five different meanings, and gave up and stuck with #5. :)

You got it right.  You mentioned that people in #arch worried about
ambiguity in syntax and i was just saying "duh, yeah, we won't blow
that but there's plenty of room to solve that problem --- it's not an
issue".

    > Ok. I think I understand what you mean. You're suggesting that in a
    > working tree, that there are some built in "aliases" that are calculated
    > at need. Kind of like half /proc entry / half C macro.
    >
    > Assuming that's what you mean, I want to call them something else,
    > because they're not quite the same thing as the aliases we're referring
    > to on the archive and global level. How about 'argument macros'
    > ?

Sure.  These particular ones are more specific, though.   You could
say "logically related versions" or something.

There's ancestry and then there's marriage.