Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] _happy_ poltical things

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] _happy_ poltical things
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:42:20 -0700

 (I'm sure
Pierce will come up with cites that say that they already are tight as
a drum, but this is a fantasy, remember?)  And maybe that some
resources will be devoted in to preserving cultural assets from the
(inevitable) looting.

 Nope, my opinion is more along the line of thinking the Transportation
Safety Authority is a big placebo to reassure the populace that its
safe to fly. Every time I fly I have to:

  1. Take off my shoes
  2. Take my computer out of its case.
  3. Take off my jacket.
  4. Take off my belt.
  5. Show my id and ticket to a bored clerk.
  6. Put my shoes in a bin for scanning.
  7. Put my jacket and belt in a bin for scanning.
  8. Put my computer in a bin for scanning.
  9. Put my computer case in a bin for scanning.
  10. Get scanned.
  11. Put on my shoes.
  12. Put on my jacket.
  13. Put on my belt.
  14. Put my computer back in its case.
  15. Put my id back in my wallet.
  16. Return all 4 bins back to another bored clerk.

None of this nonsense would have prevented 9/11 that I can see, given that they were only armed with boxcutters. Then again, I'm from Arizona, so I think we just just allow _all_ the passengers to carry firearms. Well, maybe just the
pilots.

So what I would rather do is see more of the money we're wasting on false security
spent on public diplomacy.

 Pierce