Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Show patch-log summaries by default

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Show patch-log summaries by default
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:19:41 +0000

On 26 Jul 2004 15:25:05 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> James Blackwell wrote:
> >
> >I don't know about you guys, but whenever I run a command like "tla
> >(logs|[ar]browse)", I end up running it twice. The first time simply, the
> >second time with -s.
>
> I use abrowse to examine archives I've never seen before, and patchlog
> summaries are too much detail.  So, in my experience, a -s default would
> be annoying.

I hope James talked about abrowse with a version limit only. Applying -s
to abrowse by default with a lesser limit would be really bad.

As for applying -s to logs and abrowse with a version limit, this sounds
good, but there are still some problems. 1) abrowse would be slower.
2) There are some tools and libraries already that rely on the current
output of abrowse/logs. I have nothing against breaking compatibility
in general, if there is a good reason.

Personally, I find --date even more important than --summary in some
situations, so implying the whole --desc would be better than -s alone,
with no additional traffic price. (BTW, does anyone work on supporting
logs --desc?)

Regards,
Mikhael.