Re: [Gnu-arch-users] patch-logs removed by star-merge?

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] patch-logs removed by star-merge?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:40:57 -0400

Jani Monoses wrote:
> Hello
>
> is it possible that some patch-log files be removedd by a star-merge
> operation?
>
> I have B tagged from A, and ocassionally merged things back from B to A.
> so that A now has patches: 1, 5, 6 and 7 from B.
> B had patches  base-0 .. patch-14
>
> I did a star-merge -t from A to B and it resulted in the deletion of patch
> logs base-0, 2,3,4 i.e the ones which were smaller than 7 and not already in
> A.
>
> I am using jblack's latest plus some patches of mine (none touching the
> cores of tla though)
>
> So now tla logs does not show some patches when I'm in B's working tree.

I'm guessing you're referring to my patch-(9-11).

Here's what happened:

I replayed a bunch of Aaron Bentley's patches via Robert Collins'
integration branch. Later, Aaron and I hooked up, and he informed me
that he had even more patches. Unfortunately, the patches in Collins'
branch conflicted with the patches in Aaron's branch. So what I did was
this:

1. I reversed Robert's integration branch
2. I replayed aaron's branch
3. I comitted.

The catch to using this approach was that my patch-(9-11) logs were
removed. This is fixable with sync-tree, but I haven't done so yet.