[Gnu-arch-users] Excluded files should actually be excluded

From: Nathan Howell
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Excluded files should actually be excluded
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:31:04 -0800

I've been working on getting my home dir into arch recently, and have
run into a couple of snags. Here's the setup. I've tried doing this
before, using configs and several separate projects for different sets
of config files. I found it too cumbersome to maintain, so I'm now using
one big project in ~, with certain directories (mostly large ones)
excluded either because I never want them in an archive or because they
will be their own projects.

The main project is set to tagline, with untagged-source source set.
This is basically to keep my options open, and to make it easy to
maintain. I don't want to spend a ton of time dealing with adding and
removing files, so I'm essentially using names, but I want the option of
using taglines and explicit ids when I wish to (since I already have
taglines in most of the config files that I care about).

Here are the problems/questions:

1. When I specify files to exclude (in .arch-inventory), they aren't
actually ignored by arch at all times. They are still considered (all
the excluded dirs are still traversed), and this slows everything down.
At this point, it is also preventing me from committing my files. A
couple of excluded directories have files with unicode chars in them,
things like accented e's and such, which apparently violate naming
conventions. Since I don't even want these files in the archive in the
first place, having them stop my commit completely is quite frustrating.
I need to make arch completely ignore these files. Possible?

2. I can see wanting to commit files with accented unicode chars in the
names in the future. Is this going to be possible at some point? Some
point soon?

It seems odd to me that excluded files aren't excluded. Is there a
reason behind this, or is it a bug? Besides preventing my commit at the
moment, this currently makes the output of tla useless, since it lists
every excluded file as "apparent source, but lacks an id". There are
many thousands of them. I really don't need that list.

Nathan