Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [Question] how to preserve multiple file's atomicit

From: Peter Conrad
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [Question] how to preserve multiple file's atomicity ?
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:28:17 +0100

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 23. November 2004 11:10 schrieb Martin Langhoff:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:43:35 +0900 (JST), Tez Kamihira <address@hidden>
wrote:
> > and... how about my original question...? :-(
>
> Andrew has answered it, I believe, in a somewhat indirect fashion.

right. Someone (don't remember who) has answered it by saying that what
Tez wants is not possible on a POSIX filesystem.

> If I understand you right, Arch supports what you describe as your
> goal. When you talk about "file appending", well, that's what CVS
> does. Arch does something different.

What everybody else seems to be missing is that Tez is not talking about
modifying repositories, or about atomic commits. He "simply" wants to
atomically change two arbitrary files in a simple directory on a simple
filesystem. Arch cannot do that either.

Or maybe I have misunderstood what everybody is talking about. :-)

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany